While the heat was scorching on Market Street Field, the Miami County Cubs took an early lead against the Dayton Ducks, scoring four times in the second inning. The Cubs then withstood a comeback to defeat the Ducks 6-5 in Dayton Amateur Baseball League action in Troy on Sunday.

The host Cubs team came out in the opening inning and threatened with two runners on, but could not muster any runs.

With one out, Joe Allen singled and Scott Jones reached on an infield single, only to see Kris Brown strikeout and Rusty Long pop out leaving the game scoreless.

The Ducks came back with a threat of their own against the Cubs starting pitcher Scott Jones. Mike Hartman walked, Jeremy Mohr then singled and Trevor Burbank singled to load the bases with two outs. Jones then induced Zach Stewart to ground to halt the threat.

The second inning was a big inning for the Cubs. Steve Critz was hit by a pitch and moved up on a wild pitch. Mike Sosebee singled and Caleb Comer was also hit by a pitch. The Cubs received a big two-run double by Allen knocking in Comer and Kevin Adamsky, giving the Cubs a 4-0 lead.

Back came the Ducks an inning later, as they cut into the lead with three runs of their own. With two outs, Matt Smith singled, and following a hit from Hartman and walk to Mike Davis, Mohr singled in Mohr and Phil Reamy knocked in two more runs with a double, making it a 4-3 game.

Just that quickly, the Cubs answered with a rally of their own. Two walks and a hits batsman loaded the bases with no outs as Miami County looked for a big inning. Mike Sosaby drove in a run with a fielders’ choice knocking in Brown, and the Cubs scored another run later in the inning when Comer reached on an error, giving the Cubs a 6-3 lead after three innings.

In the top of the fourth, the Ducks again answered, as Mike Davis Jr. was hit by a pitch, stole second and moved to third on a single from Dawson. A ground out by Smith drove in one run, and Hartmen knocked in another run with a hit, and it was a one run game heading to the Cubs fourth inning.

The Ducks left two runners on in the fifth inning, while the Cubs threatened in the fifth but could not score.

In the top of the seventh, Brown watched as the Ducks loaded the bases, but got Smith to strike out, preserving the win for the Cubs.